Translational Software® provides platform agnostic solutions to healthcare institutions.
We serve hospital systems, independent software vendors and a broad laboratory network using multiple instruments and information technologies.
Our solutions improve portability and interoperabilty while also increasing the utility of genetic test information to enhance clinical tools and unlock value for patients.
Translational Software®’s application programming interface (API) and proprietary knowledge platform enable health systems, labs and independent software vendors to accelerate development of PGx-enhanced applications.
These applications leverage PGx knowledge-as-a-service with existing test results to:
- Improve the prescription ordering process
- Alert clinicians to drug-gene interactions
- Suggest medication alternatives.
- Re-query the knowledgebase as patient’s medication lists evolve
To ease adoption and interoperability, the API is built on the Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR®) standard, a next-generation framework from HL7. It is RESTful and uses OAuth.
Developer Partner Program
Translational Software®’s partner program enables you to focus your development efforts on your expertise and understanding of clinical needs while we take care of the nuances of PGx.
Steps to get started
- Sign Up as a Developer Partner and to discuss your goals and timelines.
- Gain access to the shared Evaluation Sandbox to try out the APIs using demo data.
- Establish a private test area to develop your own PGx enabled application.
Example Application Scenarios
- Alert when PGx testing is advised, aligning with institutional policies
- Notify when genetic test results suggest a change in medication
- Screen new medications against the latest pharmacogenomic guidance for a patient’s genotype and medication list
- Integrate pharmacogenomics into current genetic reporting
- Enable interoperability, store data in the Translational Software registry, overcoming the limits of electronic medical record (EMR) systems and information exchange across medical practices.
- Reuse genetic results across medical specialties.
- Integrate pharmacogenetic knowledge into: EMR systems, pharmacy systems, patient monitoring tools, pharmacy benefit management (PBM), and more.
Current Development Partners
- MEDTEK21 Currently being used to positively impact care quality and outcomes across patient populations in long-term care and home health and by self-insured corporations.
- First Databank Initial use cases will enable clinicians to consider the genomic profile of a patient when making prescribing decisions (such as recommendations for drug monitoring, dose adjustments or prescribe contraindicated); and to consider genomic-related risk information when two drugs are prescribed together. This functionality will help guide clinical decision making, minimize adverse reactions and enable physicians to prescribe the most effective medication in a manner that meets the unique needs of individual patients.
- DrFirst leveraging the Translational Software API to provide an end-to-end solution for evaluating medication lists, ordering tests, alerting physicians, and current recommendations as new medications are considered.
“Integrating Translational Software’s PGx knowledge base within our e-prescribing platform allows us to deliver an in-workflow, evidence-based approach to medication prescribing that can be used as part of routine care,” stated G. Cameron Deemer, president of DrFirst.
- Sanford Health Utilizing Translational’s software to generate pharmacogenetics reports in a more automated and less labor-intensive fashion as they scale up the Imagenetics program.
- Clarity, Surfacing MedsReview via the Translational Software API to give physicians a single landing place for all of their laboratory results.” MedsReview and Synergy’s Clarity application allow a physician to greatly improve a patient’s outcome by prescribing the right medication the first time.” Read more.
Preventative screening programs are more effective when providers and payers focus testing on patients that may benefit the most, PGxPopulation provides a fast, efficient solution for evaluating a cohort of patients. With a simple upload of de-identified data, users stratify their populations according to the potential benefit to be derived from testing. This straightforward tool is easy to implement for continuous monitoring of a population.
Some of the most relevant populations to consider are:
- Long term care – evaluate your patient population periodically to ensure appropriate therapy
- Transition of care – when transitioning from acute care, reviewing patient medication appropriateness can lead to reduction in re-admissions
- Pharmacy benefits – reducing prescribing to treat avoidable side effects can help increase efficiency
- Employee benefits – improving days out metrics and increasing overall productivity by ensuring appropriateness of medication therapies for your workforce
To see PGxPopulation in action
Consumers are increasingly taking control of their own healthcare, particularly in areas where technology is moving rapidly. People who will find this relevant are:
- Parents of children with chronic conditions
- Caregivers of elderly patients that need additional help with their healthcare
- Patients that are prescribed multiple prescriptions that may have unintended consequences
- Patients looking to optimize their health and longevity
PGxPersonal helps to understand when the efficacy or toxicity of a drug may be affected by genetic variation and provides a report for physicians that documents potential issues.
MedsReview is an exciting new application for healthcare providers to dynamically review Drug-Drug and Drug-Gene Interactions in real time. The intuitive single screen user-interface replaces the need to update PDF reports and suggests therapeutic substitutions. This tool enables care facilities to incorporate pharmacogenomics into medication therapy management while streamlining workflows.
MedsReview is available through Translational Software®’s Provider Portal or as an embedded application via the API.
The PGxPortal provides a powerful and convenient user interface for monitoring and managing the process of pharmacogenomic reporting. The portal allows labs to quickly integrate advanced reporting into their existing workflow and dramatically reduce the cost, risk, and time-to-market for providing pharmacogenomic testing. With standardized interfaces for Laboratory Information Systems or Electronic Medical Records, the portal enables labs to meet tight turnaround times and ensure the accuracy of their data.
Some salient features of the portal:
- Vendor agnostic data parsing to upload test results to virtually any file format
- Automated calling of haplotypes and diplotypes
- Aggregating data from multiple sources to provide a full report for patients
- Role-based access to
- Customizable branded report templates
- Customizable report configurations, e.g. reporting by clinical specialty, therapeutic class, specific drugs or genes
- Operational reports to monitor and manage your service
Our web-based Provider Portal gives clinicians direct and easy access to patient reports in order to reduce delivery times. This is a tool for laboratories not currently using a portal a way to replace fax with a higher resolution report.
This service can be enhanced with Medsreview, a dynamic tool to manage both Drug-Gene and Drug-Drug Interactions in a single UI.
- Reports are available to clinicians within minutes of lab approval
- Mobile Ready website for easy and secure access to reports
- No setup required by clinician or patient care facility
To provide Translational Software® reports or Medsreview directly via Provider Portal
Patient Data Protections
Patient protected health information (PHI) stored on Translational Software’s systems by a health organization is only accessible to entities granted access by the organization and covered under a Business Associate Agreement (BAA). Translational Software enables HIPAA compliance for organizations using the Translational Software API.